Selkirk College, Attn: Holly Smee
301 Frank Beinder Way, Castlegar BC, V1N 4L3, Canada
Holly was a student at Selkirk college in 2003-2006, where she completed an Associate of Arts in Psychology. In 2003 Holly returned from London, England where she had been living overseas for three years. While waiting to transition to a new work visa, Holly decided to enrol in one class at Selkirk College on a whim to have something to pass the time. That course changed her life. She became hooked on education and the instructors and courses at Selkirk College re-wired her brain. Holly discovered a love and passion for learning.
Those early years set down the foundation for a BA and then an MA. Since then she has had a goal of securing employment at the college; as she wants to positively impact the life path of others and instill a life-long love of learning. In her words, “we can empower through education.”
Contributing to Learners & the Community
Holly helps students succeed academically - not just with their writing and essays but in gaining self-belief and efficacy in their role as a student. She helps them see it's possible for them to succeed and meet their goals, and that education can be fun.
Why Holly loves Selkirk College
Holly believes strongly in the power of education. She loves helping people achieve their goals and grow as an individual. She gets to contribute to shaping others' lives in a positive way and that makes her happy.
Holly’s Diverse Work Experience
- Facilitation and training for Starbucks UK Headquarters
- Veterinary Nursing
- Six years working with developmental disabilities
- Three years working in Corrections with sex offenders and domestic violence
- Combined six years working for the Provincial Government in different Ministry roles
- A combined six years working as a mental health therapist for children, adults, and teens for the gov’t and for the health authority
- Currently a therapist for a part-time private practice, specializing mostly with trauma
Outside of Work
Holly loves to paint. She is passionate about dogs and animal welfare. She has a lifelong passion for metaphysical learning and loves to walk. Holly is travel crazy and has ventured through 27 countries in her global wanderings. She is a self-proclaimed culture vulture.