Selkirk College, Attn: Lui Marinelli
301 Frank Beinder Way, Castlegar BC, V1N 4L3, Canada
I am a wildlife biologist with expertise in terrestrial mammals. I received my doctorate in Behavioural Ecology from the University of Saskatchewan (U of S) in 1993. My research experience includes a two-year post-doctoral position at the U of S, and a three-and-a-half year term with the Alberta Research Council (ARC). During my time at the ARC, I directed research on the mammalian response to forest industry practices, making recommendations to maintain biodiversity. I was the Associate Editor for the journal Mammalian Species for three years beginning in 2000.
I have developed research expertise in behavioural ecology of small mammals and radio telemetry with small and large mammals. I continue to teach in the first and second year of the Recreation, Fish and Wildlife Diploma Program.
- Arts, M., and Marinelli, L. 1998. Ornithorhynchus anatinus. Mammalian Species, 585: 1-9.
- Marinelli, L., Messier, F., and Plante, Y. 1997. Consequences of following a mixed reproductive strategy in muskrats. Journal of Mammalogy, 78:163-172.
- Marinelli, L., and Neal, D. 1995. The distribution of small mammals in rights-of-ways and on wheat and barley fields. Canadian Field-Naturalist, 109:403-407.
- Marinelli, L., and Messier, F. 1995. Strategies of parental care among muskrats in a female-biased population. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 73:1503-1510.
- Marinelli, L., and Messier, F. 1992. Space use and the social system of muskrats. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 71:869-875.
- Marinelli, L., Messier, F. and Plante, Y. 1992. DNA fingerprinting and parental analysis in muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus). Journal of Heredity, 83:356-360.
- Messier, F., Virgl, J.A., and Marinelli, L. 1990. Density-dependent habitat selection in muskrats: a test of the ideal free distribution model. Oecologia, 84:380-385.
- Marinelli, L., and Millar, J.S. 1989. The ecology of beach-dwelling Peromyscus maniculatus on the Pacific Coast. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 67: 412-417.
- Schieck, J., Marinelli, L., Crites, S., Bradbury, S., Sorensen, T., Gray, C., and McKinnon, D. 2000. Biodiversity in cutblocks with few large versus many small residual patches of trees and snags. Alberta Research Council, Vegreville, AB.
- Lee, P., Marinelli, L., Crites, S., and Schieck, J. 1999. Fire and harvest residual (FAHR) project: The impact of wildfire and harvest residuals on forest structure and biodiversity in aspen-dominated boreal forests of Alberta. Alberta Research Council, Vegreville, AB.