Selkirk College, Attn: Robert Macrae (On leave until September 1, 2017)
301 Frank Beinder Way, Castlegar BC, V1N 4L3, Canada
I have been teaching applied microbiology, environmental chemistry, water pollution chemistry and air pollution chemistry courses for the Selkirk College Integrated Environmental Planning Technology (IEPT) Program since 1996. During May and June, I volunteer my time to provide field-based science lessons for regional school children in grades kindergarten to 12.
Before becoming a college instructor, I worked as a Quality Assurance Supervisor for Griffith MicroScience in Scarborough, Ontario and owned and operated a mushroom farm.
My Education and other experience include:
- Obtaining a grant from the Columbian Basin Trust to co-ordinate efforts of IEPT students to restore a former landfill and most recently, helped IEPT students collaborate with local citizens to restore the Cottonwood Creek watershed.
- Completing several training contracts.
- Being contracted by Teck Cominco to write and deliver courses on water and air sampling as well as general environmental technology training for their technicians at the Trail Operations and at the Red Dog Mine in Alaska.
- Completing a curriculum project that addressed drinking water issues for the BC Ministry of Advanced Education.
- Participating in applied environmental research undertaken by the Lower Trent Region Conservation Authority.
- Receiving a grant from the Shell Environmental Fund for a site rehabilitation project and funds from the Ontario Environmental Youth Corps program to create summer jobs for a student to assess the impact of spent lead shot on water quality and waterfowl habitat.
- Teaching environmental technology courses in the Ontario Community College system from 1991-96.
- Graduating from the University of Toronto with an M.Sc. in 1987
- Being awarded a Rotary Foundation Scholarship that allowed me to complete a research project at the University of Tokyo, Japan where I worked in a Forest Chemistry laboratory from 1981 - 82.
- Graduating from the University of Guelph with a B.Sc.Agr.in 1980