Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the day to day activities of the accounting services of the college ensuring a high quality of service and the application of sound internal control practices and procedures; prompt and accurate completion of a variety of monthly, quarterly and annual financial procedures to close off and reconcile the general ledger accounts
- Provides effective leadership to accounting staff and ensures the department’s practices are ethical and are conducted openly, honestly and in the public’s best interests
- Acts as an internal financial consultant to enhance financial management College-wide. This includes providing information for problem solving and ensuring support to College personnel to enable them to access and understand financial information.
- Prepares year-end working papers to support the annual financial statements and works closely with the Manager of Reporting, Planning and Accountability during the annual audit; Prepares and files tax related reports like GST and PST; Prepares reports as and when requested by the Director of Finance.
- Supervision of human resources within the accounting services section of the Finance Department including being accountable for and providing leadership to Finance staff who are responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing, cash receipts, treasury, duplicating and mailroom.
- Promotes a teamwork approach to promote a work environment that encourages personal productivity and job satisfaction, and the professional growth of employees supervised, advocating for employee needs as necessary.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Possess sound leadership and supervisory skills with a commitment to develop and support a culture of trust, respect and empowerment; A commitment to collaborative and consultative processes.
- Ability to make decisions and to assume responsibility and accountability for successful completion of assignments and tasks.
- Motivated professional with excellent interpersonal skills complemented with highly developed oral and written communication skills in order to promote excellent levels of quality customer service
- Comprehensive working knowledge of financial accounting and information systems; purchasing procedures, business and management theories/practices; GAAP, PSAS, and federal and provincial regulations pertaining to Colleges.
- Proven ability to deliver results under pressure, against time constraints and in a rapidly changing environment, which will require excellent organizational, planning and time management capabilities.
- Considerable knowledge of a computerized accounting, reporting and data management system and tools within an integrated MIS and/or ERP; Strong information literacy and computer skills including MS Office software.
- Proven financial management skills, accounting and reporting ability, including the use of Excel or comparable spreadsheet programs.
- Effective in emergency situations and demonstrate the ability to deal tactfully and confidentially; must have the ability to adapt to a changing work environment, to foster a collaborative work environment, and to work independently
Education and Experience
- A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation including a Bachelor of Commerce Degree or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years related experience in a senior accounting position with some system and process development responsibilities
- Extensive experience with financial information and accounting systems as part of an integrated management information system
- Demonstrated proficiency in database management and spreadsheet applications
- Sound experience (at least one year) in supervision and human resource management
This is a full time, continuous administrative position being offered for a two year period with a possibility of an extension. Salary range will be EX 7 - $69,363 – $79,724 per year ($2,668 – 3,066 bi-weekly) in accordance with the Administrative Staff Employment and Benefit Program. The start date will be as soon as possible.
Selkirk College is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential and where each member of the college community shares a responsibility for developing and maintaining a healthy work environment in which differences are valued. The college welcomes applications from persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and Aboriginal people. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.