Selkirk College, Attn: Taya Whitehead
301 Frank Beinder Way, Castlegar BC, V1N 4L3, Canada
I have been an instructor at Selkirk College since 2008. I have been working in the child care field for 14 years, 8 of which I spent as the program manager for the West Kootenay Boundary Supported Child Development Program.
My education includes:
- ECCE Certificate – Selkirk College
- Human Services Diploma ECCE Specialty – Selkirk College
- BA Child and Youth Care – UVIC
- Provincial Instructor Diploma – Vancouver Community College
- MA Integrated Studies (Community Studies) – Athabasca University (in progress)
I sit on the Board of Directors for the Early Childhood Educators of British Columbia (president-elect), the Board of Directors for Kootenay Family Place and the Board of Directors for the West Kootenay Boundary Community Services Co-operative. I am also a member of a number of local and regional child care related committees and tables.
I have a young family, so we spend a lot of our time enjoying the outdoor beauty of the Kootenay region, in particular the Arrow Lakes. I was drawn to the beauty of the area from the Lower Mainland and the appeal of the small class sizes. It is for those two reasons that I have stayed in the West Kootenays and returned to Selkirk College as an instructor.