Part-Time Students

To receive a loan as a part-time student, you must be a resident of BC. 


Not sure if you're a resident of BC? To determine residency, students are classified either as dependent or independent. 

Dependent: If you are classified as dependent, your residency is defined as the Canadian province in which your parent(s), step-parent(s), sponsor or legal guardian have lived most recently for 12 continuous months. 

Independent: If you are classified as independent, your residency is defined as the Canadian province in which you have lived most recently for 12 continuous months (excluding any time spent in full-time post-secondary study). 
Even if you have a BC services card, license and insurance, you will still not be eligible for a BC student loan unless you have lived in BC for 12 consecutive months.  
If you are taking a program that is more than one year, you will continue to apply to your province of residency every year, as residency does not include time spent in post-secondary school. 
If you are not a resident of BC, you must apply to the province you are a resident of. If you are not sure, contact our Financial Aid Office. 


You must be a part-time student studying at a designated post-secondary institution.

Loan use

Loans for part-time students must first be used for:

  • Tuition
  • Books
  • Supplies
Loan repayment

You must start repaying your loan six months after your study period ends. Find out about loan repayment options, including making a payment plan and how to pay.

If you need support repaying your loans, find out about the Repayment Assistance Plan and the Repayment Assistance Plan for Borrowers with Disabilities.

Other Funding Opportunities

Learn More About Funding Opportunities for Part-Time Students