Immigration & Permits

You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and obeying Canadian immigration regulations while studying in Canada.

Check your immigration documents (study permit, work permit and/or temporary resident visa) to make sure they are accurate and up to date. Plan to renew them at least two to three months before they expire. A valid permit allows you to remain in Canada while you study. If you apply through an agent, they will help you through this process.

Learn More About Studying in Canada

Working in Canada

Find out about working on- and off-campus, as a co-op student or intern, and after graduation.

Work On- Or Off-Campus

Full-time students can work on- or off-campus if their study permit has the conditions to allow them to work, they have started their academic program courses and they have a social insurance number (SIN).

Working on campus

You can work on your school campus, without a work permit, if you:

  • Are a full-time post-secondary student.
  • Have a valid study permit.
  • Have a social insurance number (SIN).
Working off-campus

You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet all of these requirements:

  • You’re a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI).
  • You’re enrolled in:
    • A post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or
  • Your study program:
    • Is at least 6 months long and
    • leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • You’ve started studying (you can’t work before you start your studies).
  • You have a social insurance number (SIN).

International students cannot work off campus if you are:

  • Registered in English Language program (ELP) or Upgrading program.
  • A visiting or exchange student without a study permit.

If your study permit doesn’t have work conditions on it:

  • You can ask to have these conditions added if you’re eligible to work off campus. There’s no fee to add these conditions to your permit.
  • You’ll need to request an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN from Service Canada.
How many hours can I work?
  • During regular school semesters, students who are allowed to work off-campus may work off-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • During scheduled breaks in the school year, such as during winter and summer holidays, they may work full-time off-campus.
  • There is no maximum number of hours eligible students may work on-campus.
  • You may be eligible to work more than 20 hours per week off campus under a temporary public policy. Find out if you meet the requirements.
Final academic session & regularly scheduled breaks

Final Academic Session

Students who have maintained full-time status for the duration of their program of study, and who only require a part-time course load in their final academic session in order to complete their program of study, may work on campus in addition work off campus up to 20 hours per week during their final academic session.

Regularly Scheduled Break

Students who are enrolled full-time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break and who decide to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break are eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis.

If a program of study does not provide for a regularly scheduled break and a student creates their own break in a program, it is considered a leave from studies, rather than a regularly scheduled break. Students who create their own break in a program are not eligible to work on- or off-campus during that break.

Work Term, Practicum & Co-op Education

Get up-to-date information about working as a co-op student or intern.

Why do a work term, practicum or co-op?
  • Maximize job opportunities upon graduation.
  • Advisors prepare students for interviews and job placements.
  • Get career-related work experience while studying at Selkirk College.

Access guidance on a co-op work permit application.

Work after graduation

You must maintain full-time student status each semester (except the final semester) to be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

You can continue working on part-time basis after your final exams in your final semester. However, you must stop working when you receive the completion letter and/or final transcript.

Find out about distance learning and PGWP eligibility.

Request Letters

PurposeRequired Selkirk College LettersMaking the Request
Study permit (new)
  • Letter of admission (LOA)
You will be provided your (LOA) on being formally accepted into a program. There is no need to request these documents. If there are any challenges, please contact us.
Study permit (renewal)
  • Verification of enrolment
  • Transcript 
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • Registration receipt
  • You registration receipt is available in your Student Record. It is important that you have a document with your Canadian address. 
  • Please take this opportunity to ensure your address and phone number and emergency contact are up to date. 
Invitation for family (general)
  • Verification of enrolment
Invitation for family (graduation)
  • Verification of enrolment
  • General Invitation letter (available mid-January)
  • Request your verification of enrolment.
  • A general letter will be generated by the Registrar’s Office with the date and time of graduation and that we encourage families to attend.
Post-graduate work permit
  • Final transcript
  • Completion letter
  • Request final transcript via your Student Record.
  • Request completion letter. 
Co-op work permit
  • Verification of enrolment
  • Co-op work permit support letter 
  • Request verification and a co-op work permit support letter for work term, internship or practicum.
  • Students, who choose to do a co-op job, request the work permit support letter via Co-op Education.
Amend or correct a study permit
  • Verification of enrolment
  • Transcript 
Authorized leave letter
  • Authorized leave letter

Instruction Guide & Checklist

Travel to the USA

For the most accurate and up-to-date information, please visit the IRCC website, contact the IRCC Client Support at 1-888-242-2100 or use an IRCC web form. Immigration requirements are subject to change. Visit the Government of Canada for accurate up-to-date information.