Who We Are
Learning in Retirement (LiR) offers our 50+ community the opportunity to explore old and new interests in a relaxed and stimulating learning environment. LiR, a volunteer not-for-profit organization, works in partnership with Community Education at Selkirk College to develop and provide a diverse program of speakers, courses and other activities for its members.
LiR officially began in 2009 and by 2020 had grown to a membership of 400. During the fall, winter and spring semesters there are guest speakers, interest groups, trivia quizzes, courses and field trips.
Check out the latest LiR Journal for schedules, news on past activities and more information on LiR.
How to Participate
Besides membership, volunteering is a great way to get to develop and keep your skills sharp, while you help to keep LiR vital in the Nelson area. There are eight board committees to volunteer for: Program, Social, Communications, Membership, Finance, Archives, Safety and Audio/Visual.
To learn more, volunteer or contact the board, please email Nelson LiR at email@example.com.
LiR Eldercare Scholarship
In 2018, Learning in Retirement awarded its first annual scholarship to support a student in the Selkirk College Health Care Assistant Program. This is an accomplishment of which all members can be proud!
To make a gift to the LIR Eldercare Scholarship, you can donate online or by cheque.
- Visit www.selkirk.ca/support and click "Donate Now"
- Once the donation form loads, select your donation amount. Select "Other" as the designation and type "LIR Eldercare Scholarship" in the comment box.
- Complete your billing information to complete the donation.
- You will receive an automated tax receipt via email directly after making your donation.
Giving by Cheque:
- Write a cheque payable to "Selkirk College Foundation" and write "LIR Eldercare Scholarship" in the memo line.
- Mail the cheque to: Attn: Advancement, Selkirk College, 820 Tenth Street, Nelson, BC V1L 3C7
- You will receive a tax receipt via mail within a few weeks after making your donation
Board of Directors
VICE-CHAIR: Sarah Kemp
SECRETARY: Sandra Tozer
TREASURER: Raj Downe
FINANCE COMMITTEE CHAIR: Raj Downe
PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR: Kathy Hrabluk
COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE CHAIR: Julia Bennet
SOCIAL COMMITTEE CHAIR: Marjorie Laisnez
SAFETY COMMITTEE CHAIR: Carl Waterer
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Carl Waterer
ARCHIVES COMMITTEE CHAIR: Judy Deon (does not sit on Board)
AUDIO/VISUAL COMMITTEE Chair: Jude Schmitz
Member at Large: Sheila Kerr
Selkirk College Community Education Coordinator (Selkirk College Liaison): Christine Schmidt